Tuesday 29 March 2011

10.RESEARCHER



After passing M.A.Degree Examination from the University of Calicut in May 1982 in Second Class I thought of a career in research.In 1982,I happened to visit Dr.A.Ayyappan,eminent anthropologist and former Vice-Chancellor of Kerala University.At that time he was Visiting Professor  in the University of Kerala and residing nearby the Francis Road Junction.I was a frequent visitor to his house.When he learnt that I am a PG Degree holder in Sociology with Tribal Studies in India as  optional subject,he asked me why can''t me pursue research studies on the tribals of Kerala taking one of the areas of investigation.I was a diploma holder in Naturopathy from an institute in Bombay and interested in public health he hinted that I must take  health as the subject of study.Thus I decided to do research work on the health habits and health status of the tribals of Attapady.I studies similar studies conducted earlier from the available reference materials and prepared a programme of my study.Though health was the main aspect of the study ,I studied all aspects of the life of the tribals like their ethnic and cultural features,ancestors,history,geographical  and environmental impacts,social and economic activities,communicative,recreational,artistic values related to their life,customs and practices,attitudes and approaches,problems and challenges,habits and life style,educational factors,development and the trends of modernisation and their impacts,etc.,etc.  The aspects related to heath like their food habits,diseases,treatments,medical care,traditional methods of helthcare and management of chronic diseases,nutritional standards,infectious diseases,sexual factors and problms related to their life,family life,housing and sanitation,drinking water,etc were thoroughly examined.
The methods adopted for the study included collection of secondary as as well as primary data.Seondary data were collected from all available materials like government publicattions,directories,year books,manuels,studies conducted earlier,books and statistical materials published by various authors and publishers for the past several years,etc.Besides original primary data were collected by conducting field work.Questinnaire and interview schedule were prepared and data were collected by observations,Participant observation was one the methods adopted for the study as and when required.I visited the areas of tribla settlement several times and lived there mingling with them and understanding their problems.Whenever I had any doubts or queries I contacted Dr.Ayyappan and discussed with him on it deeply.I also contacted Dr.P.R.G.Mathur,then Dirctor of the KIRTADS (Keala Institute of Research,Training and Development of Scheduled Tribes),a government  organisation situated at Chevayur,Calicut.I once appeared for the post of Research Officer in the Institute,but I was not absorbed.I requested the Kerala Government to provide me with the necessary financial assistance for the continuation of my work.Wrote letters on this to the Chief Minister and other concerned ministers.But the government informed me that there was no provision for financial assistance to independent research works apart from the fellowships given by universities and other such agencies.Anyway I went forward with my work.
The experiences and findings of my study put new light on the different aspects of health and development and also of human rights issues.While improvement in the indices of health and development in our country is noteworthy,the denial and denigration of basic human rights to some sections is a painful truth.While working as a researcher in tribal areas,I have experienced and witnessed this side of development.Our goverments (both central and state) have spending crores of rupees for development.but there are remote villages and sections of people who have yet to know what development is,if not what life itself is.It is found that health and development are dynamically interlinked.Even the WHO has argued that health and human rights are inextricably linked.Violation of human rights can have serious health consequences.That is why some experts have argue that we need to apply a human rights-based approach to healthcare.And it is undeniable fact that vulnerability to ill-health can be reduced by taking timely steps to protect basic human rights like the right to pure environment and oxygen,pure drinking water,uncontaminated food,decent and secure housing facilities,and above all freedom of life,communication and movement,and freedom from discrimination of all types.
Later I have worked as an independent researcher in various areas and fields for about 25 years.Among them the one I did in Calicut city was worth Mentionable.For six years I worked as a research investigator on the topic 'The Changing Socio-political Processes and the Youth in Indian Cities :  A Study with special reference to the city of Kozhikode(Calicut).Most time spent as part of this study was for field observation.I would come to the city on alternative days in morning and spent about two hours mingling with the youth.Most of them would not recognise me or aware of that I am observing them.I would be with them wherever they were lke the bus stand,the premises of educational institutions,libraries,public halls,cinema theatres,restaurants,etc.The study also investigated into their psychological and behavioural processes since they have related  to their interpersonal relationships and activities.I had many strange experiences.Once I could see a very haandsome college student having intimate physical relationship with his beautiful girlfriend,who is also a student.I could see this while I was walking through the veranda of one the colleges.When I noticed that cigarette-smoke was coming out through the half-shut window of one of the rooms of which the doors were closed.I looked though the window and I could see both of them were smoking and lying naked on a make-shift bed by placing  two benches together.When I looked they  were in hot action which I cannot put in words..Another incident I witnessed was in a cinema theatre where .I could see two handsome college boys masturbating mutually while watching one of the sizzling shots.I refer to such incidents just to admit that the youth have a different view on sex and lovemaking.They want to have thrilling experiences and believe that this life is worth living.And also believe that life is for enjoyment and not a waiting-shed
for a life to come.I have such experiences as part of research and

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you have written these narratives- you have a remarkable memory and your pieces make good reading....

    ReplyDelete