Tuesday 29 March 2011

8.AT THE UNIVERSITY


 I joined the University of Calicut as an office assistant in 1he first month of 1978.I reported for duty before the Controller of Examinations.I was posted in Ex.III Section.My dutties were to maintain  some confidential files relating to question paprer setting,valuation of answer papers and conduct of examinaions.I had to pass the D.A.and T.A.bills of the concerned teachers.I took sometime to familiarise with the new environment,arrangements,procedures,files,etc.Prof.I.G.Menon was the controller of examinations at that time and Chandappillai was the Dy.Registrar in charge of our section.I worked there for 32 days.The Vice-Chancellor granted me leave without allowance for  40 days from March 1st.After my examination I reported for duty on May 25th on the expiry of my extended leave.I was posted in Ex.XI Section.I was in charge of tabulation of the marks of the Pre-Degree Examination.of two colleges - P.M.G.College,Chalakkudy and St.Alosyous College ,Elthuruth.One Mr.Chellappan Nair was the section officer.After one year,on19-3-79 I  was transferred to Ex.XV Srction.As per the new work distribution,my duties were general correspondence related to all Pre-Degree branches and other general items of works which were not specifically allotted to anyone.On 10-5-79 I was transferred to VI Section with the duty of Afzal-ul-Ulama Examinations.As per a special memo issued on 15-11-79,Ms.Susan Chacko (who later became Dy.Registrar and Secretary to the VC )of Ex.XXV Section and I were mutually transferred.I availed leave without allowance from 15-7-80 to 12-10-80.which was extended to 30-11-80 on medical grounds.That was the service record at the University. I was in the University service  only for two years.But it was eventful and marked by new contacts,new experiences,new experiments on life,more opportunities for reading good and rare books and the porsuit of free research and intellectual development. Many VCs and PVCs came and went .Prof.M.M.Ghani has already left and Dr.N.A.Noor Muhammed had assumed charge,but he also left after sometime.Prof.N.Purushothaman and Prof.Sukumar Azhikode  were the Acting VCs for a short duration.Prof.K.A.Jaleel came.Prof.T.K.Koshy and Prof.I.G.Menon were the registrars while I was there.Some important officers co-workers with  whom I  worked were M.Abdul Azeez,V.Radhakrishnan,M.P.Thomas,Paul, A.Rajagopalan Achary, R.S.Panicker,Balagopalan Nedungadi,T.Bhaskaran,C.T.Bhaskahan,K.K.Rajan,K.Ahammed Kutty,Hafis Sarvar,Sreedharan Pappanoor,Charu,Koyakkutty,Syed Kamal,Sethumadhavan,K.J.John,P.O.Zacharia,P.C.Abdulla,K.N.Gopalan,K.P.Muhammed Kutty,Sreekumary, Zuhara,Vanaja and Sadananda Menon.
   While working at the University, I stayed at my elder brother's house at Tirurangadi with his family.The University which is at Tenhipalam,is only about 10 kms from there whereas it is 36 kms.from our house and it was more convenient for me to come from there I took the noon meal from a hotel(better say, the only hotel available there at that time)which affected my digestive system adversly and I became a chronic patient suffering from stomach cmplaints.I could not concentrate on my official duty or anything.I strongly felt the meaninglessness of continuing there.I wanted a revolutionary change in my life to help safeguard it and make it more useful and fruitful.I virtually stood at a turning point in my life.Different kinds of confusing and perplexing thoughts have  occupied my mind from my childhood itself making my life active and vibrant. 
I have to take some bitter decisions in my life,decisions that made me lonely,decisions that made me devoid of worldly comforts and pleasures,decisions that made me unpopular,decisions that made my life difficult,decisions that made me in the bad books of the society,decisions that invited the displeasure and wrath of my family members,decisions that made my future uncertain and insecure,decisions that made me a stranger in the society,decisions that made me a sickman and sorry figure among my fellowbeings,decisions that made me unrecognised and unrewarded,decisions that me unwanted and useless in the eyes of others,and above decisions that made me totally devoid any promising achievement here or hereafter.Anyway I cannot but take such decisions without considering their impact or pros and cons.
Thus I left the University for the time being(or for ever).There was no alternative for me.I was virtually standing at a crossroad in life,but without no serious thoughts of the future.I was subject to strong criticisms  from within and without my family.Many accuse that I am taking such decisions out of madness or false pride.Another attitude towards me was that I am  not interested in making money without noboody can lead a life worth living.There were people who said that I am Utopian and lives in an imaginary world far away from the real world.Thus everybody began to look towards me and conside me as a person who must be shunned and kept away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment