Tuesday 29 March 2011

2.THE FAMILY

   I was born in an ordinary village family well-settled in our locality for many generations.They were agriculturists by profession.They looked after the paddy fields and other operations like ploughing,harvesting,etc.My forefathers were farmers who managed agricultural activities either working in the fields themselves or getting the works done by paid workers.They reared bullocks which they used for ploughing.Mechanised farming was not possible since the paddy fields were divided into small fragmentations.My paternal grandfather and the only two brothers of my father were farmers and they were not educated.But they managed to have some basic knowledge of their paternal religion of Islam as was customary during those days.My father too learnt the fundamentals of religion besides mother tongue Malayalam.He later underwent higher studies in Islamic Theology and Arabic language alomg with the preparatory training course in Teaching Malayalam and other conventional  school subjects. was shrewd and hardworking,and became successful though he experienced acute financial constraints.He studied in different mosques becoming an inmate of the Dars(classes taken by Islamic scholars).My father could establish contacts with many persons in different fields and strata of the society which helped him to be more practical-minded .
    It was a revolutionary step in the family of my father that some undergo higher studies in Arabic and Islamic theology and jurisprudence on the one hand and Malayalam and allied subjects on the other.Joining Dars was one of the accepted ways of pursuit of a profession among the young men of our community during the first half of the 20th Century.Some of the well-known figures in the history of Kerala like the late E. Moidu Moulavi and Sayyid Abdur-Rahiman Bafakey Thangal were once inmates of Dars.The list of the stalvarts of the Dars Movement in Kerala is very long including Pangil Ahammedkutty Musaliar,Ahammed Koya Shaliyathi,Qutubi Muhammad Musaliyar,Valakulam Abdul Bari Musaliyar, Chalilakath Kunhahammad Musaliyar and Kanniyath Ahammad Musaliyar to mention the names of a few. It was this movement of Islamic scholars my father joined.Our maternal grandfather was also a great and respected person in this field.His name is Pathadi Aboobacker Musaliyar.
    My association with the outer world made him aware of the importance of an economically secure life.One of the acceptable methods of such a life at that time was becoming a teacher in government -aided school.Teachers had job security.His decision was a historic one as far as our family was concerned.While serving as a primary school teacher he continued to lead the Friday prayers in mosques and other religious activities.For about 50 years he as the onquestioned leader of the Muslim community in our locality.
    The name of my father is Imbichibava Musaliyar.He achieved everything by his wisdom,farsight and dedicated work.He took pains for providing food and provisions for his children.In those days acquisition of government jobs was considered as one of the end-objectives of life .My father's contacts with various types of people and reading newspapers helped him to widen his horizons and find the different avenues to reach his destination.My father guided me,advised me,warned me and scolded me so as to make me a responsible and useful son.As far I could observe and judge,my father loved his wife(our mother) and children and wanted them to be loving and thankful in return.He led a very simple life.He was sacrifice-minded and devoted to his family.All credits for the progress made by we,the children must go to him.Traditionally elders were conservative and dogmatic especially in rural areas.Disobedience and questioning them were treated as gross violation of the moral and religious code.In our family too there were delicate situations which are even difficult to express here in detail.I was in a helpess situation when there were quarrelsome relationships between father and mother.What made them quarrel at frequent intervals is still a mystery to me.Quarrels would badly adly affect the normal friendly atmosphere of the the house.It was the children who suffered with disastrous consequences
     My mother's name is Ayisha.She belonged to one of the noble and pious families of Kunnamangalam.Her father was an acclaimed scholar in the religious theology of Islam.He conducted Dars in some reputed mosques.It was under him my father studied.His was a respected name not only in Kunnamangalam,but in many neighbouring villages.My father was one of his best students.and later his second son-in-law.Thouh she was illiterate,she was intelligent.I could gather from my mother that her life was not happy due to the problems including frequent and chronic illnesses.She is lovng  and attached to her children.She was anxious of the safety and wellbeing of her children.
    We cannot have parents of our choice
or our dreams and vice-versa,The relationships between father and mother,and between parents and children may be made more positive and sustainable by mutual understanding.adjustment and negociations.My spent the best years of her life bearing,delivering,breastfeeding and looking after her children.She gave birth to nine children within a timespan of 20 years.The health condition of my mother was very poor.She suffered from some kind illnesses which adversely affected her mental condition also.Her habits and attitudes also was not favourable for good health.Her ideas and believes were also very peculiar and had their adverse effects on health.
    The lives,attitudes,activities,experiences associations and problems of the parents play a crucial role in forming the personality of the children.It is proved right in the case of my life.The environment and events at home influenced me in my thought-processes and attitudes.The general economic condition of the family was poor at the time of my birth.The only source of income was my fathers salary which was very meagre.Though I am peace-loving I lived in a quarrelsome,poverty-stricken domestic environment.I was gloomy,lonely,pensive and introspective instead of being social,mingling with others,and living in the community.I lacked self-confidence and morally couurageous.
    I am the fourth living son of my parents.As mentioned earlier,my mother gave birth to nine children,five males and two females.Among them two persons left for their heavenly abode in childhood itself,I could not see one of them,a brother named Usman who died before my birth and had only a vague memories of my sister Fathima who was named after the beloved daughter of The Holy Prophet Muhammad and was really an embodiment of all virtues and graces.I dedicate this book for them,pray for them and hope Almighy God may bless me giving an opportunity to be with then in Heaven.
    Now let me give something about my living brothers and sisters.The name of my eldest brother is Mohammed(the most exalted name of the beloved Prophet).He is a highly qualified person academically,having a Ph.D. degree in education from the Univesity of Calicut.He was earning while I am  a child and still continue working even after retirement from government service.He served as High School Assistant.Headmaster.College Lecturer,Professor.Principal, Chairman, and Commissioner for Educational Research and Development.He has authered three books in Malayalam and English.He is still active despite hus failing health.He upholds traditional values in private and public life and a man with true Islamic spirit.
   My second elder brother is named Aboobacker,following the greatest disciple of Prophet Muhammad.It was also the name of our maternal grandfather,a pious scholar.He is also a devout Muslim.He has got a doctorate degree from an Open University in child psychology.He has worked as teacher,headmaster,principal and educational officer.He is willin to help others in case of need and extends guidance and support to others.He always tries to solve family problems if any,but always evokes criticism.
     The third elder brother is named Ummer,following the second Khalifa.A post-graduate in English Literature,he worked in University,Later he became Lecturer,professor and principal of colleges.He also worked as Youth Co-ordinator and District Literacy coordinator.He later assumed office as Registrar of the University of Calicut.He was private secretary to the Minister for Education,Government of Kerala.He acted as Pro-Vice Chancellor of the Calicut University for sometime.He is also actively interested in educational and public affairs.His administrative and organising skills have been commented.Unlike me he is practical-minded.and know how to deal with persons and situations advantageously.
    My only younger brother is named Abdul Azeez.He is in government service He more known as a social activist based in Kozhikode having good contacts with many public figures.He is  the President of the Kozhikode District Consumer Protection Committee and office-bearer of some other committees.
    I have two living sisters,oe elder and the other younger.The elder sisters name is Khadeeja,following the most respected and beloved wife of Prophet Muhammad.She is very mild-natured and soft-spoken and not being eductionally qualified she is only a house wife.Her husband is a person interested in public affairs and business.
   The younger sister is named Nafeesa.She is sensitive and articulative in her style.She writes stories in Malayalam and have been broadcast from All India Radio.Her husband is a retired manager of the Kerala Transpot Company who is active in business.
   All my brothers are married and have children.They are settled in different places ; Tirurangadi.Palazhi and Pottammal respectively.Azeez is at Payyadimeethal near our house.While elder sister lives in Palazhi ,younger sister near our house .  

No comments:

Post a Comment