Tuesday 29 March 2011

4.MY NAME


  Before proceeding with my story further with my story,let me deal with in some paragraphs on my name.Everyone (and everything) has a name - in the case of human beings,specific proper names so as to keep up his or her individual identity,A name of one's own is his or her  birthright,whoever he may be.It is the first among the Universal Human Rights declared  by the UNO.The selection and choice of the name of a child depends upon several factors like religious faith of the father/parents,caste or community,mother tongue(and sex),race,national and regional factors,religiosity,educational background,socio-economic and cultural background of the parents,spiritual orientation,profession,level of mdernisation/urbanisation,general outlook of life,mental development of the parents,family and hereditary factors,social norms,etc
   The name given to me is not an uncommon one.It conists of the initials which stand for family house name common to all sons of my father and the individual personal name which consists three meaningful words in Arabic language.It has three arts as conventionally has such type of names in Arabic -- the first part meaning 'slave' and the second is a synonym of God,meaning 'provider of livelihood' and in between these two words a definite article - preposition combination.Thus immensely fortunate enough to get a good name.Many persons have got names either corrupted or meaningless in any language.My father's name is such a one and hence he never added his name to any of his children's names though he was fully empowered to do so.There are people who argue that Muslims(or believers in the religious faith of Islam )must have Arabic names for becoming successful in the life hereafter after death,There is no basis for it.If so many devout and true Muslims would not enter heaven merely due to the fact that their names are not in Arabic.So now also we cannot find fault with the parents of a child if they gives it a non-Arabic name.The Chinese Muslims have Chinese names,not Arabic names.In many other countries also there are vernacular names to true and devoted Muslims.Mere Arabic names will not make good Muslims.What matters is not name,but faith and action.
   My name could be transliterated in more than one waysin English and Indian and foreign languages.Many publications use different spelling combinations for the last part of my name i.e. Razzaq,Razack,Razak,Rasak,etc. In school records and passport my name is spelt as ABDUL RAZZAQ.But I myself use the anglisised spelling combination of RAZACK to denote the second part of my name along with numerous published materials in which my name appear.It is beyond me to insist that my name should be spelt as it is in my official documents everywhere.It is not practicable also.

No comments:

Post a Comment